Despite being the best email service provider, Outlook email account holders often face various errors due to which they can’t receive or send emails. One of the most common issues is that your Outlook is not receiving emails but can send them. We have addressed all the possible reasons for ‘Outlook not receiving emails’ issue along with its most effective solutions. Therefore, after going through the article, you will be able to get the Outlook back into working condition in no time.
Why Outlook Not Receiving Emails?
At times, while working on Microsoft Outlook, you will see that you are not being able to receive emails recently sent by others. Before jumping on how to fix Outlook not receiving emails, let’s explore what causes the issue. Here are some of the most possible reasons for that.
- A firewall, antivirus, or other component is blocking the emails from coming to Outlook.
- If wrong Outlook email login credentials have entered into your account details, you will find issues in receiving emails.
- Interruption in the network connection of your system or poor internet connection can cause Outlook not receiving emails issue.
- If Outlook mail server is down or your unavailable, you will neither receive any new email message nor will be able to send.
- The Outlook is receiving new email messages but those emails have been directly stored in the spam folder instead of the inbox.
- The Outlook data files of your system have been infected by malware
- Your Outlook email account is not properly synced with Outlook web app in your system
- The Outlook 365 not receiving emails due to some Outlook plugins or add-ins
Now that you know the reason why you are not receiving Outlook email messages, follow the below-mentioned fixes as per your reason for and get rid of Outlook not receiving emails in no time.
How to Fix Outlook Not Receiving Emails But Can Send Issue?
After knowing all kinds of reasons for why you are not receiving emails in Outlook account 2010 or other versions. Now, without wasting much time, let’s take you through several ways to Deal with Outlook not receiving emails issue. Follow one or more of the below-mentioned fixes and resolve the issue.
Check Internet Connection
As Outlook not receiving emails issues can also generate due to interruption in Internet connection, we can fix the issue of internet connection. Follow the enlisted steps to check whether your internet connection is working strongly and if it is not, how to fix it.
- Open the ‘Service Status’ on your system and expand its options.
- Select the tab of ‘Current Status’ and drop-down further options.
- Scroll the given options and click on ‘Outlook’, in the windows under the ‘Outlook’ if you see a ‘Green Tick’ icon with ‘Running normally’.
If your Outlook is ‘Running normally’, then it is not the problem. If you do not see this tab, fix the internet connection issue.
- Navigate towards the ‘lower-right’ corner of the screen on your system and click on the ‘Globe’ icon.
- Click on the ‘Network and Internet Settings’ option to open the folder.
- From the options presented in the left-side, click on the ‘Status’ and in the window you will ‘Not connected’ tab.
- Under the same tab click on the grey box that reads ‘Troubleshoot’.
- The ‘Windows Network Diagnostics’ will start scanning your system and detecting problems.
- After a while, the trouble will be detected and, click on the ‘Use troubleshooter and access Internet connection’.
Once the problem is fixed regarding internet connection, close the ‘Troubleshooter’ and go to the Outlook to check if it is receiving any new email messages. In case your Outlook not receiving emails issue is still revolving around, follow the next method.
Check and Remove the Junk Mail Filter
Before you go and contact an email expert, make sure that you have checked the ‘Junk Folder’ in your Outlook email account. At times, Outlook 365 does receive email messages but it automatically moves all the incoming emails to the ‘Spam or Junk’ folder. To disable the junk folder, follow the subsequent steps thoroughly.
- Open Outlook Web App on your system and log in to your account if you are not already
- On the’ page of the Outlook 365 account on your screen.
- Navigate towards the ‘Junk email’ icon and click on it.
- Now, drop-down the options from the ‘Junk Email Options’ menu.
- The new pop-up window will show the Incoming Messages Filtering levels.
- If you have enabled the option of ‘High to low’, disable the option.
- Choose the ‘Low’ for testing if you are still receiving all the emails in ‘Junk emails’.
- Now, click on the ‘Apply’ and hit the ‘Ok’ button and finish the process.
After you perform the aforementioned steps, ask your friend to send you an email to the same email address. Check if you have received the email in the main inbox and if Outlook not receiving some emails issue is still faced by you, try the following method.
Configure Correct Username and Password to Fix Microsoft Outlook Not Receiving Emails
To execute this method of troubleshooting Outlook not receiving emails but can send issues, you must have a strong internet connection. Follow the enlisted instructions and check if you have configured the correct ‘Username’ and ‘Password’ and re-enter the correct ones again.
- Open Outlook and navigate towards the ‘File’ on the ‘upper-left’ corner of your home page.
- Drop down the options and click on the ‘Account Setting’.
- Expand the options and click on the ‘Account Settings’ again to open the folder.
- ‘A dialogue box’ will pop up on your screen, it reads ‘Your Email Address’.
- Double-click on your ‘Email Address’ and to check if the configured details are authentic.
- Here, re-enter the following:
- Email Address
- After re-entering the correct Outlook login credentials, click on ‘Ok’.
Now that you have made sure that the entered login username and password are correct, check if the Outlook emails not receiving issue has been fixed.
Still, encountering the same Microsoft Outlook not receiving some emails? Follow another troubleshooting method.
Fix Outlook 365 Not Receiving Emails by Resetting the Inbox Filter
At times, we look for critical solutions to fix every simple Outlook issue and forget that some issues can be dealt with easier solutions. To fix Outlook 365 not receiving emails, change the Inbox filter, and see if it can be sorted. Here are the essential steps to change the filter of Outlook inbox.
- Open Outlook and remain on the ‘Home’ page.
- Navigate towards the ‘Inbox’ and click on the blue color ‘Filter’ link in the right-end side of the tab.
- Drop-down the options of ‘Filter’ and check the ‘All’ option.
- Scroll down the options and go to the ‘Sort By’ and expand its options.
- From the presented options, click on the ‘Date’.
If you perform the steps mentioned above, you can see all of the recent email messages that the filter could have blocked in this way and you were facing Outlook not receiving emails.
Want to learn some more solutions on how to fix Outlook emails not receiving? Here you go.
Configure Right Outlook Server Setting to Fix Microsoft Outlook Not Receiving Emails
In order to send or receive email messages in Microsoft Outlook, you must have the correct outgoing and incoming server entered along with and right port numbers. Otherwise, you will face the annoying issue of Outlook not receiving emails. Cross-check with your Outlook mail server settings and re-entered the correct settings by following the subsequent instructions.
- Open Microsoft Outlook and navigate towards the ‘File’ that is on the upper-left corner of the Outlook home.
- Select the tab of ‘Account settings’ drop-down the options.
- Hit the ‘Account settings’ again and your current ‘Email Address’ will pop-up on your screen.
- Click on it and hit the tab that is beside the email address, read ‘Type’
- You can see ‘POP’ or ‘IMAP/ SMTP’ mentioned under the ‘Type’ section as the ‘Incoming and Outgoing server settings.
- Double-click on your ‘Email address’ and a new pop-up window will open.
- From the given options select the ‘More settings’.
- Choose the tab of ‘Advanced’ to check the incoming and outgoing server numbers.
- Check if under IMAP – Incoming mail server, the port number is 993. In case it is not, re-enter accordingly.
- Check if under the SMTP – Outgoing mail server, the port number is 587 or 465. In case it is not, re-enter accordingly.
- Check if ‘TLS’ is selected as the ‘Encrypted connection’.
- Hit the option of ‘Ok’ and ‘Next’ respectively.
After a quick follow up on the prior method, you will receive a ‘Congratulation message’ that informs that the testing has been completed and changes you made are saved. Now, close the window and check if Microsoft Outlook not receiving emails is still a matter of problem.
Fix the Corrupted Outlook Profile and Fix Outlook 365 Not Receiving Emails
At times, your corrupt Outlook profile is the reason why Outlook not receiving some emails. To receive all the incoming emails, all you need to do is build a new profile in such a situation, and connect it to the current Outlook email address. Follow the enlisted steps and create a new profile
- Open Microsoft Outlook and navigate towards the ‘File’ that is on the upper-left corner of the Outlook home.
- Select the tab of ‘Account settings’ drop-down the options.
- Hit the option of ‘Manage Profile’ from the given options.
- There will be an option of ‘Show profile’, click on it from the three options.
- Now, click on the ‘Add’ option and select a ‘Profile Name’ as per your wish.
- Click on the ‘Ok’ option and enter the ‘Email Address’ that you want to connect to the old Outlook profile.
- Then, enter ‘Password’ and re-enter the same ‘Password’ to match your choice.
- After this, close the windows and go back to the home page ‘Outlook web app’.
- Find the option of ‘Restart’ and wait until it starts again.
- Navigate back towards the ‘File’ menu and choose the ‘Account settings’.
- Expand its options and click on the ‘Change Profile’.
- At last, click on the ‘Ok’ when the system asks you for permission to restart your outlook app.
Delete Multiple Accounts to Get Rid of Outlook Not Receiving Emails Issue
As we know, Outlook allows us to connect up to 20 email accounts in one place at most. Hence, if you have connected to many accounts and are using all of them actively, Outlook might have blocked you from receiving some emails and cause Outlook not receiving some emails. To get rid of this issue, you must follow the enlisted steps and remove some accounts that are less important.
- Log into your Outlook account via Outlook web app on your personal computer
- On the home page of Outlook, navigate towards the top-left corner of the display, find ‘File’ and select it to open.
- Select the ‘Account Settings’ from the options and again click on the ‘Account Settings’.
- Here, all the connected Outlook email accounts will be displayed in a window, select the account (ore or more) that you want to remove
- Once you have selected the accounts, right-click on it, and choose the tab of ‘Remove’.
- Now, you will receive a pop-up message that warns you that ‘The offline cached content will be removed after this step’.
- Click on the ‘Yes’ if you still want to remove the selected accounts.
After you finish with following the aforementioned steps, the chosen multiple accounts will be removed from the Outlook web app. Now, Outlook will not block you from receiving certain email messages and the Outlook not receiving emails issue will also be resolved.
Remove Outlook Rules
Outlook Rules is one of the best features provided by Outlook but at times, even this beneficial feature can put you in trouble and you will not be able to receive Outlook emails any longer. To fix Microsoft Outlooks not receiving emails, get rid of Outlook rules. Follow the subsequent instructions to enlighten yourself with a step-by-step method.
- Open Outlook and move towards the ‘Mail’ and click on it to open the folder
- Now, open the ‘Tools’ from the given options and expand the further options
- Click on the ‘Rules and Alerts’ to open the dialogue box
- Now, drop-down the tabs and select the ‘Manage Rules & Alerts’
- the ‘Applied Rules’ will be shown is list under the section ‘Rule’
- Check all the Outlook rules one by one that you created once
- Navigate towards the ‘Delete’ in the upper-middle of the scream
- A ‘confirmation window’ will pop-up on your screen asking, ‘Delete all selected rules?’, click on the ‘Yes’
At last, end the process of deleting the Outlook rules by clicking on the ‘OK’ tab. Now that the rules have been removed from your account, check if the Outlook not receiving some emails problem has been solved.
Set Automatic Refresh Option to Fix Microsoft Outlook Not Receiving Some Emails
It is possible that you have disabled the feature ‘Automatic Refresh’ option and hence, you are facing Outlook 365 not receiving emails issue. As with any other email server, Outlook also automatically refreshes the folder in the background only when you enable the ‘Automatic Refresh’ option. Hence, follow the below-mentioned steps and enable the required option.
- Open Outlook and navigate towards the ‘File’ tab and click on it
- Select the tab of ‘Options’ and expands its options
- There will be a tab named ‘Advanced’, click on it, and drop-down.
- Choose the option of ‘Send/ Receive’.
- Select the tab for ‘All Accounts settings’ and check the box that reads ‘Include this group in send/ receive’
- Now, move forward and select and check the box that reads, ‘Schedule an automatic send/ to receive every ‘2’ minutes’.
(You can reset the ‘Time’ of the ‘Automatic Refresh’ by using the ‘Up’ and ‘Down’ keys to set the minutes as per your choice.
- Once you have set the ‘Automatic Refresh’ option enabled, click on the ‘Close’ button to end the process.
This process must have helped you to resolve the Outlook 365 not receiving emails issue. Now ‘Refresh’ your Outlook email account and check if you are receiving emails.
In case you still could not fix the issue, follow another easy fix. We are not short of solutions yet.
Disable Antivirus Application
Often, certain network links can be blocked by a firewall or anti-malware software installed on your system. Outlook not receiving emails but can send due to the same. To fix this, you can simply disable device firewall settings or remove the program on your own. Follow the enlisted steps to do so.
- Open your system and go to the ‘Start’ option
- From ‘all the programs’ select the option of ‘Settings’
- Select the ‘Update & Security’ option to open the antivirus installed on your system
- From the shown folders, double-click on the ‘Windows Security’
- Find and click on the ‘Virus & threat’ protection
- Right-click on the ‘Virus & Threat’ folder and select the option of ‘Manage Settings’
- Here, turn ‘Off’ the ‘Real-time protection’.
After following the aforementioned steps, scheduled scans will still be continued to run. But, the files that are already downloaded will not be scanned anymore. Restart your system and check if the Outlook not receiving emails but can send issues has been fixed.
Remove Contacts from Blocked Users List
If you’ve added any specific user to the ‘Blocked User List’ of Outlook, then you won’t be able to get an email message from them. Sometimes, we add somebody to the block list and then forget it to remove from the list. To get rid of the Outlook not receiving emails but can send issues, you go to the ‘Blocked Users List’ and remove the concerned email contacts. Follow the below-mentioned steps to read in detail.
- Open Outlook web app and log in to your account
- Go to the ‘File’ and drop-down the options to choose ‘Settings’.
- Navigate towards the ‘upper-left’ corner of the home page and click on the ‘Mail’.
- Expand the options and click on the ‘Accounts’
- Select the ‘Block or allow’ and drop-down the section of ‘Blocked Senders’
- The entire list of email contacts that you have blocked. Now, select the addresses or domains you want to remove from the list to receive their sent messages.
- Then, click on the ‘Unblock’ option and navigate towards the ‘Bin’ option to click on it as well.
Refresh your Outlook web app and check if you are receiving the emails from the accounts you have recently removed from the ‘Blocked Users List’. In case still encountering Outlook not receiving some emails, follow the one last method.
Fix Your Blocked Outlook Account
Often Microsoft ends up blocking an Outlook email account for several reasons, due to suspicious behavior or privacy reasons. You can visit your Outlook account online and enable every feature again, and this method will come in handy. Follow the enlisted instructions and unblock your account by sending an ‘Authentication code’ to your registered mobile number.
- log out from the Outlook web app for once to recover your blocked account
- Click on the following link ‘https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx’ and head to the ‘Account recovery’ page
- Enter the correct ‘Outlook email address’ and type the ‘Characters’ you see in the ‘Cachet box’ to recover your Outlook account
- Click on the blue tab that reads ‘Next’ and select the option of ‘Use a different verification option’ to reset your password.
- You will get a text of 7 digits from ‘MSFT’, click on the text and copy it to paste in the required space
- Once you have entered the ‘Authentication Code’ and it is found correct, you will be asked to enter the following
- Enter New Password
- Re-enter New Password
- After typing a strong password, click on the ‘Save my password and recover my blocked Outlook account’.
Congrats! After a quick follow up on the aforementioned method, you will be unblocked from the Outlook email services. Now, log in to your account with new credentials and confirm if the Outlook not receiving emails issues have been fixed.
Preventive Measures – Outlook Not Receiving Emails
By reading 12 troubleshooting methods you must have solved the Outlook not receiving emails but can send. Although learning how to deal with it is not enough, you got to learn how to prevent Outlook from being blocked to receive several email messages also. Therefore, we have summed up a section that comprises several suggestions to prevent the same issue. Read and consider the following tips to use Outlook as an email expert.
Change Password Every 6-Month
Make sure that you keep changing your Outlook password into a secure alphanumeric one. Considering changing the login password of your account every few months ensures that your account details won’t be leaked.
Trusted Devices must be verified
As we know that Outlook allows us to add some trusted devices that we can simply access all the time without entering the authentication code. To verify, go to the ‘Security settings’ of your Outlook account and see to it that only trusted devices are added here.
Set 2-Step Authentication
Make sure the two-step authentication feature is enabled to protect your Outlook email account. In this instance, by entering a one-time created code, they will have to confirm each time someone attempts to access your account. The code will be sent to your registered phone, thereby reducing your account ‘s chances of being hacked.
Create a Backup of Outlook data files
As Outlook keeps all the local storage data you can consider saving it in advance, you can simply make a second copy or back up copy of your PST files, and save them to a different location. In case you still lose the Outlook data files, you can always recover it from Recoverit Data Recovery software.
If even after considering the aforementioned suggestions you face Outlook not receiving emails but can send issues then, you will always have various solutions to deal with it in this informative article to go through.